Monday, September 11, 2006

US Pro Cycling Championship - September 3, 2006




The US Pro Cycling Road Race Championship was in my hometown of Greenville, S.C. Labor Day weekend. I was pleased to host my RAAM teammates from Team Type 1, Phil Southerland and Joe Eldridge. The night before the race we had a great dinner with former Tour de France rider Jonathan Vaughters, now manager of the TIAA-CREF cycling team, comparing notes and stories about racing the Tour and RAAM, and diabetes. Sunday we watched my friend and fellow Greenvillian George Hincapie win the US National Championship in our hometown. Levi Leipheimer set a killer pace climbing Paris Mtn., shreding 3/4 of the field off the back in the first 10 miles of the race. Only 20 riders out of 100 finished the race and George held on for the win. See my picture above and more from the race and the weekend.

No comments: